EMD GP7
PRR #8583
When Pennsy ordered their GP7’s they were still ordering locomotives with
specific assignments in mind as they had done for many years with their steam
locomotives. In 1953 they placed their last GP7 order. Eight of the units were
set up for passenger service for use in Chicago-Valparaiso, IN commuter service,
for local service between Williamsport-Buffalo, NY and in Trenton, NJ. In 1949,
EMD introduced the GP7. The basic design followed most diesel switchers with
the addition of a short hood instead of an end-cab. The hoods were also full
height to better accommodate the diesel engine and mechanical and electrical
components. In 1954 EMD upgraded the GP7 to become the 1,750 horsepower GP9.
Externally, the first GP9s were virtually unchanged from the last GP7s. Later
versions would include different louver arrangements and the last ones would
come without the frame skirting. The GP9 was available with all of the fuel tank,
steam generator, and dynamic brake options as the GP7, including ‘torpedo tube’
air tanks mounted on the roof. Many railroads chose to rebuild their GP7s
and GP9s for continued service. Oftentimes, it was cheaper to do this rather
than purchasing brand-new locomotives.